Tennessee Williams on Truman Capote: Empty Rooms and Glitter



Interview with Tennessee Williams
Conducted by James Grissom
New Orleans
1982


You're fascinated by Truman, as are so many, because he jumped so high and lived among the clouds and the confetti, and yet he seemed so hungry, so dissatisfied. His talent never seemed to satisfy him, even though he held it close to him as closely as a beloved doll or dog. I don't know how many holes there were in Truman's soul, but I know there are many in mine: I cannot and will not judge him for wanting more of everything to fill himself up, to feel, at long last, loved. 

I was always able to find comfort in my work, even as I knew it wasn't the best I could do, but I can't lie and tell you I wasn't hurt when it wasn't successful, when it didn't find an appreciative audience. We need so much, and I think Truman is here for us to be a symbol of need, of lack, of all the empty rooms upon which glitter rains.


©  2017  James Grissom 

Comments

Popular Posts