Gillian Anderson is Blanche DuBois in "A Streetcar Named Desire"






All of those deaths!  The long parade to the graveyard! Father! Mother! Margaret, that dreadful way!  So big with it, it couldn’t be put in a coffin!  But had to be burned like rubbish!  You just came home in time for the funerals.  Funerals are quiet, but death–not always.  Sometimes their breathing is hoarse, and sometimes it rattles, and sometimes even they cry out to you, “Don’t let me go!” Even the old, sometimes, say, “Don’t let me go.”  As if you were able to stop them!  But funerals are quiet, with pretty flowers.  And, oh, what gorgeous boxes they pack them away in!  Unless you were there at the bed when they cried out, “Hold me!” you’d never suspect there was the struggle for breath and bleeding.  You didn’t dream, but I saw!  Saw! Saw! And now you sit there telling me with your eyes that I let the place go! How in hell do you think all that sickness and dying was paid for?  Death is expensive, Miss Stella!. Why, the Grim Reaper had put up his tent on our doorstep!

Comments

Popular Posts