Tennessee Williams on William Faulkner: Go with God


Interview with Tennessee Williams
Conducted by James Grissom
New Orleans
1982



Good God! William Faulkner. What can I say? Certain books and certain writers knock you to your knees and lead you to wonder why you even bother to get up in the morning and think, much less write. I said to Eudora [Welty] one night that I thought of Faulkner as the biggest, boldest mountain, and I'm scared to even stand at the foot of it, so vast and frightening it is. And she lowered her head and her voice and said, 'I won't even visit the country in which that mountain stands.' So that's my response to your question about Faulkner. He'll change your life for sure, but he'll scare you when the topic of your own writing arises. Go with God, baby.



©  2014  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts