Deborah Kerr: I Invested in Hearts




Interview with Deborah Kerr
Conducted by James Grissom


There are all of these books and journals that ask you to think a certain thought each day, or conduct a particular task. I did these things for a time, but I then decided that I was going to invest myself in other people, whether they knew about it or not. I was going to support and encourage people who acted and wrote and wrapped packages and sold shoes and directed traffic. I was going to be a part of their lives and take an interest in what they did and how they did it. I think this kept me sane, although I'm not about to suggest that I'm a model of balance--not by any means. It turned out to be a great gift I gave myself. The world changes when you're told you made a difference; when you're helped along in whatever you're doing. This sounds so small, I know, but I had a certain magic when I worked and lived and interacted with everyone. My heart was so improved by really taking an interest in others. I had spent far too much time looking into mirrors and my navel and my list of ambitions. I invested in hearts--mine and others. I think this is a good way to live.


© 2014 James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts